Lean & Green
As a distributor and value-added service provider, it is essential to run a lean operation. The reduction of waste in our workflow processes is a priority of every employee and the benefits are shared by our entire supply chain.
We have contracted with Wisconsin Manufacturing Extension Partnership (WMEP) and implemented many kaizen events to improve value-stream mapping in all areas of our assembly production lines as well as offices. Some examples of these initiatives are:
- Reduction of more than 50% of MCT, WIP, and distance traveled for all production jobs; thus reducing cost and lead-time for our customers.
- Strong cultural focus on cross-training all employees for zero down time during shift (no idle equipment during breaks, lunch, etc). Cross-training is also part of our continuity/contingency plan to avoid disruption of supply due to employee illness, vacation, etc.
- Streamlined standard office work instructions and ensured all necessary technology and equipment is at each associate’s point of use for optimum speed of transactions.
- Designed and implemented same day delivery reports, methods of transferring, and logistics to exceed customer delivery requirements.
While process improvement is at the core of our culture and practiced by the entire team, The Anderson Group is also very environmentally conscious and undertakes “Green” initiatives every day.
- Recycling of cans, bottles, toner cartridges, pallets, waste water, and light bulbs.
- Daily/weekly delivery of customer requirements by our own fleet to minimize shipping costs and eliminate packaging requirements.
- Associate carpooling initiatives, light sensors in inventory rooms, WE Energies energy audits and utilization, and electric forklifts are only the beginning.
At Anderson we believe it is vital for the ongoing concern of our community to be aware of how our actions affect the future and we continue to look for better ways to do everything.
BizTimes Article – Savings Achieved with Sustainability Tool (PDF)